Start your day off right with this superfood bowl inspired by Pantry ambassador, @shabbysmalls!
The composition of this smoothie bowl is just as interesting and complex as it looks. And would you believe these bright colors all come from natural ingredients? That's right-- there are no artificial coloring or sweeteners anywhere in this dish!
This bowl is modeled after the blue smoothie bowl found at Great White restaurant in Venice Beach, CA. The tropical base is topped with hemp and chia seeds that deliver additional protein, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants.
What is a Blue Smoothie?
A key ingredient in the infamous "blue smoothie" is typically spirulina. Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. One of nature's most nutrient-dense foods, it's no wonder groups like NASA and the World Health Organization (WHO) have use spirulina to help nourish people all over (and outside of) the Earth!
Regular consumption of spirulina is thought to support health in many ways, including:
- provides many essential nutrients such as vitamins B1, B2, B3 and iron
- help improve your levels of blood lipids/cholesterol
- suppress oxidation (anti-oxidant properties)
- reduce inflammation
- reduce blood pressure
- lower blood sugar
- boosts immunity and the production of white blood cells as well as antibodies that fight viruses and bacteria
Spirulina gives this smoothie a beautiful blue color naturally while enriching the fruit base with additional nutrients to benefit your body in so many ways!
Ingredients for a Blue Smoothie Bowl
- 1 tbsp. blue spirulina powder
- 1 cup frozen mango OR pineapple
- 1 banana
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1-2 Pantry good day bites
- 1 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- Strawberries, sliced, for garnish
- Cacao nibs, for garnish
How to Make a Blue Smoothie Bowl
- Combine spirulina, mango, banana, and coconut milk in a blender. Pulse until evenly blended. Add additional mango or coconut milk as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Pour spirulina smoothie mixture into a bowl and even out top with the back of a spoon. Top with hemp seeds, chia seed, sliced strawberries, Pantry good day bites and cacao nibs!
- Enjoy your design and dig in!! YUM!
Interested in trying more healthy recipes for summer? Check out our whipped eggplant dip inspired by Elephante!